"COCKPIT"

General discussions about the game, Live For Speed.
Wildboy99
PRO
LFS License: S2
LFS User: |ARC| Liam

Re: "COCKPIT"

Postby Wildboy99 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:43 pm

So after walking back and forth past my unfinished coffee table i made in year 11 (4 years ago) many many times i realised i could probably sit in there so i tried and i could fit. Almost F1 fitment haha. I then went and found a piece of timber from the shed for the wheel and shifter to sit on. It worked pretty well considering but theres a few issues.
1. The pedals need to be propped up to give them some angle which i havent found a good solution for yet.
2. The bars that run the length of the table get in my elbows way while turning, i can cut them out and put them lower by 200mm which would fix it i just gotta work out a good way to do the cutting and sticking them back in.
3. It needs some padding for obvious reasons but thats easy to fix.
4. Way to mount my LCD on it safely.

Anyway some pics of it now. Need some time to fix it up and make it look pretty if it seems like its going to be any good but here we go

http://tinypic.com/m/f0p1jn/4
http://tinypic.com/m/f0p1js/4
http://tinypic.com/m/f0p1jk/4

EDIT: i Couldnt work out how to resize with the img tag so links will have to do
ImageImageImage
Racing is life, Anything before or after is just waiting - Steve McQueen
4aged
LFSNZ Addict
LFS User: 4aged

Postby 4aged » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:49 pm

good start, you must be pretty small to fit in there lol!
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImage
dynofiend
PRO
LFS User: dynofiend

Postby dynofiend » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:48 am

Looking like a good start there. Nice and solid, and you sitting on the frame will help keep the whole thing stable.

I would avoid lowering the side bars, once you cut them, they are unlikley to be long enough to reuse in the same dimension, as the cutting will remove about 5mm of material. Instead consider cutting them out, and then cutting them in half using a 45 degree cut, and triangulating them, so connecting the top of the wheel mount with the centre of the lower bar, and the top of the seat back into the same place on the centre bar, something like this from a side view [\/] This will make it more stable. Cut them off flush with the uprights using a hand saw. Should be very easy.

With the pedals, I am assuming that you want to keep the thing nice and compact, so you could make a hinged arrangement where two bars come off either side of the front of the frame at floor level, but are hinged where they join the frame, so they can fold upwards. At the ends of these bars you would mount a sloped wooden plinth at the desired pedal angle, and the pedals would sit on that.

For a seat, something akin to a go kart seat would fit nicely, or (as they are similar in size) the top plastic part of one of those school chairs you can get. Just mount it so the front is higher than the back so it rakes back.

Mounting the LCD is probably as straight forwards as you would imagine. Try and get it as close to you as possible, even slightly overlapping the wheel housing. My 24" monitor overlaps the wheel housing, and therefore has the same effective size as a 50" monitor mounted at feet length. Modern monitor resolutions mean that there are no problems with pixelation when sitting close. Extending the plinth you are mounting your wheel on is a good start. If you are worried about the monitor tipping off as you clamber in and out of the frame. You might want to use a couple of strips of nylon webbing (handles or straps from an old back pack are ideal) which go tight across the base of the monitor, and are screwed in place on the plinth. This will stop the monitor rocking and tie it in place. Use washers under the screws (ideally cupped, toothed, or spring washers) to hold these straps in place. Incorporate a buckle from the backpack if you are feeling clever to allow quick and easy removal of the monitor.
ImageImage
Wildboy99
PRO
LFS User: |ARC| Liam

Postby Wildboy99 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:48 pm

Hmm thanks for all that dyno, Id thought about doing something like that with the pedals and the screen. When i first looked at it all i didnt think it would be stable enough for the screen to sit there nicely but ive tested it just sitting in front of the tv with gt5 and its actually very stable so it probably wouldnt even need straps, but im going to put them there anyway.

Interesting idea with the side bars. Doing them that way would also make it easier to get in and out of actually, would give me somewhere to mount a button panel at a nice angle too.

I got plenty to think about now with it cheers mate
ImageImageImage
Racing is life, Anything before or after is just waiting - Steve McQueen
Krayy
Advanced

Postby Krayy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:32 pm

If you had the side bars in a \/ formation, wouldn't you fall out when you went around a corner? :lol:
I'm a Logitech G-Man!! G15, G25, G35, G500...

Image ImageImageImageImage

Return to “General”