Latest rig addition, work in progress

General discussions about the game, Live For Speed.
dynofiend
PRO
LFS User: dynofiend

Re: Latest rig addition, work in progress

Postby dynofiend » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:27 pm

Well done for getting your two screens to work, I would have no idea where to start there! Did you notice an FPS drop running both displays?

Ill keep you updated with my progress on the back projection. My first challenge would be working out if I can do DIY back projection paint job on a piece of glass, and see what the results are. My idea is a thin spray coat of white paint which will be bloody hard to get even!

Another idea which appeals is using a geodesic type tent-frame/cover thing made from cheap white cotton sheet. Again a small scale test will confirm whether this is a go-er or not. I like this idea more than the skylight as it is something I can totally DIY, and is potentially foldable into 0 space which is great for when I want to watch movies in the spare room.
ImageImage
Andre
Rookie
LFS License: S2
LFS User: AndreNZ

Postby Andre » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:43 pm

Yes, the FPS dropped but mainly because my graphics card is only an NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT and because the rendering is inefficient. MY 60-70FPS dropped to about 30 (during a large multiplayer start grid) - 50FPS (once the cars spread out). I had to turn anti-aliasing down also but can barely notice the difference. The only way I can get both monitors to display at their maximum resolutions is to render another 1920x1080 pixels for the second monitor which then only displays a 1280x1024 piece of that. It shouldn't be much of a strain for most high end graphics cards though. It's also nice to know that if I ran two projectors the FPS would improve.

The back projection sounds tricky. I'll be interested to see what you come up with, it seems as though the result could be quite immersive.
Chris
PRO
LFS User: holdenrules_64

Postby Chris » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:01 pm

After seeing tiptops cockpit and his button box it reminded me that I havent shown you guys what I did to make my button box haha :D

It was once a biscuit tin that I mangled with a drill. Just bought all my own buttons, wire etc and a USB digital switch. Soldered everything up and put it into the biscuit tin and mounted it at an angle on a board that goes under my wheel to thicken my desk. Computer just reads it as any other controller, was very simple. Turned out quite nicely. Liam and I spent a lot of time thinking about how we would do this but im surprised it worked out so well for the first attempt.

4aged
LFSNZ Addict
LFS User: 4aged

Postby 4aged » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:09 pm

lol that is pretty cool...biscuit tin lid lol! would have been pretty cheap and it works well!
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImage
dynofiend
PRO
LFS User: dynofiend

Postby dynofiend » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:41 am

Haha, I missed this update. Love the biscuit tin, great use of what's available to you :D
ImageImage

Return to “General”