CHRISTMAS UPDATE FROM SCAWEN!!!!

General discussions about the game, Live For Speed.
4aged
LFSNZ Addict
LFS License: S2
LFS User: 4aged

CHRISTMAS UPDATE FROM SCAWEN!!!!

Postby 4aged » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:22 pm

Bit of an update on tyre physics progress....sounds like he has unleashed pandoras box with this tyre physics.....at least he is getting right into it and trying to get it a real as possible. 2011 hopefully!!!!!

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=72217
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImage
Wildboy99
PRO
LFS User: |ARC| Liam

Re: CHRISTMAS UPDATE FROM SCAWEN!!!!

Postby Wildboy99 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:26 pm

Saw this in my emails the other day i nearly died when i saw a message from LFS thought no way it couldnt possibly be out. sadly i was right. ohwell its good to actually hear from him with an explanation as to where he is at with the update.

What i dont understand is why there waiting for the new physics to release the sciroco and rockingham. its kind of at the point like i was with gt5 i dont care if its not perfect just stop delaying it, give it to me now and polish it with updates later. im sure alot of the lfs community would agree with me too
ImageImageImage
Racing is life, Anything before or after is just waiting - Steve McQueen
4aged
LFSNZ Addict

Postby 4aged » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:18 pm

yea there were alot of comments like that in that thread. Lots of people just wanted some S3 content released or rockingham track.....but scawen wants to do it all in 1 hit / can charge more for it as well probably.

also alot of comments in support of him so sounds like a divided community.
Wildboy99
PRO
LFS User: |ARC| Liam

Postby Wildboy99 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:54 am

yeah looking at it from a programmers perspective i guess i can understand. its his baby and he wants it to be perfect. i just have the unfortunate problem of been from a generation that wants everything yesterday, the only other thing i could suggest to him is to hire more people which has been mentioned to him before but i guess the problem then would be funding and he doesnt have total control of it.

It was interesting to read the article he wrote about tyres. Coming from a family of mechanics id like to think i know at least a little bit about tyres and things but Scawens attention to detail is amazing and i learnt a fair chunk from it which helped to put into perspective just how long its been taking.

Hopefully when i return from holidays in 2 weeks time there will be even more news regarding the update
ImageImageImage
Racing is life, Anything before or after is just waiting - Steve McQueen
thorns
PRO

Postby thorns » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:13 pm

About 3 years to late for me, especially without any hint as to a likely release. I wouldnt be at all suprised if this time next year he posts another update without actually any progress to show for it, much like the last two christmases. The game really has stood still for far to long IMO, with the likes of iRacing, and rFactor 2 being which is soon to be released, I just think they are almosr digging there own grave with the lack of updates to the game itself.
ImageImageImageImage
Swivel
Site Admin
LFS License: S3
LFS User: Swivel
Combat Arms Name: Swivel

Postby Swivel » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:32 pm

Yeah when I saw it in my inbox I thought S3, But no.

Wouldn't mind a full Dirt track, I guess thats why i'm more into rFactor at the mo.
ImageImage
I thought I was wrong once, But I was Mistaken
dynofiend
PRO
LFS User: dynofiend

Postby dynofiend » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:31 am

My guess is that there will be a higher price point from s2 to s3, and if the extra content is released with s2, then basicly no one will buy s3 and two years of development will have been for nothing.

The dissapointing thing for me is that the car and track people are waiting for are both distinctly average. Rockingham is flat, smooth and boring (ive driven it in real life!), with only the banked section offering any interest. The Scirocco is a heavy dull front engined front wheel drive, visual design exercise, with computers to take the edge off any inherant fun handling characteristics. It will just be a heavier, nicer looking XFG that doesnt skid.
ImageImage
sly_guy
Advanced
LFS User: sly_guy
Combat Arms Name: sly_guy

Postby sly_guy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:14 am

Hmmm,

I must agree, for the first time in YEARS, i'm getting disillusioned with LFS.. the problem I have is that there isn't really anything else out there offering what it offers (I'm happy to stand corrected)

The one thing that LFS has always done for me, is just be there as something you can pop on and play for an hour, in an online game.. I've had a bit of time over the xmas break, and a few times, I fired up LFS and thought I'll just go for a whirl... but, the distinct lack of online player in our timezone makes you either end up on a demo server, or being the only one in there. Neither of which really appeal...

I've been playing GT5 on the PS3, but the simulation just isn't anything like as good, nothing like the same feel of traction etc. (looks fantastic though). Then there's the likes of Rfactor... again, a great game for a quick blast, but with the 18 million options for it, I never really found it a pick up and play, and certainly not in an online capacity.
Then there's IRacing... awesome as it is,,, it's expensive, not just in $$$ but in the time you'd need to spend to get even near the back of the grid, forgiving it is not... Getting the variety of cars and tracks is just cost prohibitive too.

So for the first period in years.... I've not really been doing any racing... I've found myself buying BC2, and trying to improve at that (not succeeding, but enjoying trying)...

I'm looking forward to series' starting again with you guys, as that's something I really enjoy, racing with others, pushing to improve times etc etc.

I think I've tried pretty much every other car game out there, and nothing else has given me anything like the pleasure that LFS has over the years... but does anyone have any suggestions of other things to try in the absence of a decent LFS community (and lack of updates in 3 years)?
I've tried,
GT5
IRacing
Rfactor
NKPro
RACE Series
Grid
Dirt
F1 2010 (big disappointed in handling)
and lots of older ones.
ImageImageImageImage
Swivel
Site Admin
LFS License: S3
LFS User: Swivel
Combat Arms Name: Swivel

Postby Swivel » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:26 pm

Yeah, The lack of local players is slow down here. I've been over seas in a "Anything goes" racing on BL2 (yeah demo) but not alot else around.

Maybe a UF1000 on Westhill (or BL2)(10 laps) could be a fun start to the year,
anything goes to get to the finish LOL.
ImageImage
I thought I was wrong once, But I was Mistaken
4aged
LFSNZ Addict

Postby 4aged » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:39 am

nice post sly, i have been doing a bit of racing in the cargame.nl server and that has been awesome but thats because i get time to jump on about 7/8am and its packed as. but yea at night...I dont bother is pretty slim pickings.

Yep looking foward to geting into some series again too

Return to “General”