How did you get started into LFS?

General discussions about the game, Live For Speed.
mik641
PRO
LFS License: S2
LFS User: mik641
Combat Arms Name: Mik641

How did you get started into LFS?

Postby mik641 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:00 pm

Thought it would be interesting to see how people have got into lfs and their history prior to lfsnz? :mrgreen:
Image ImageImage
Wildboy99
PRO
LFS User: |ARC| Liam

Re: How did you get started into LFS?

Postby Wildboy99 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:35 pm

Hmm thats a good question and will be interesting to see the responses.

For me believe it or not it started because of Battlefield 2 which i bought back in 2008 i think. Myself and sugo were looking for a clan to join and we came across a clan started by Chris and his brother which looked like a good fit. We added each other to our friends list in xfire and played some bf2 together. Sadly the clan didnt last long after we joined for what ever the reason was.
Then been a car/race enthusiast around mid 2009 i noticed that Chris was playing a game called Live for Speed and it looked interesting so i grabbed the demo and had a go but with the keyboard i just couldnt get into it and soon stopped. 3 or 4 months later i tried it again and soon found a way to use my PS3 controller as a gamepad which made it infinitly better. Chris, Sugo and myself then joined up with each other again to form ARC Racing. Not long after that we all bought S2 and gathered several team mates who have since disappeared.
In january 2010 we signed up for the FBM series here realising that a PS3 controller wouldnt cut it anymore i bought the last G25 in my area which i had been eying off for months just before the world series started.

So thats how i got into LFS and so far its been great racing with you guys.
Before i stop rambling check out what me and Chris tried not long after joining lfs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8GRkFQsEJo Its good for a laugh :D
ImageImageImage
Racing is life, Anything before or after is just waiting - Steve McQueen
Swivel
Site Admin
LFS License: S3
LFS User: Swivel
Combat Arms Name: Swivel

Postby Swivel » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:37 am

Well thats easy, A TM Member called Shrapz posted a message about lfs on Trademe, and he setup a server, Downloaded the game and loved it,

Server was originally called TMRally, Then I took over hosting and it was changed to TCrally, And ended up changing the name to LFSNZ (to reflect the NZ connection to LFS) then Stella started hosting (better upload speeds).

Guess that applies to a few of the old members here.
ImageImage
I thought I was wrong once, But I was Mistaken
Steala
LFSNZ Addict
LFS User: LifeSteala

Postby Steala » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:43 am

For me at the time I use to lurk around Trade Me forums a lot and I had been playing Need For Speed Carbon at the time. Saw a thread on TM forums about LFS - downloaded the demo and here I am..
Image Image Image
ATOMIC Web Hosting - Quality shared and reseller website hosting. WHM/cPanel
Chris
PRO
LFS User: holdenrules_64

Postby Chris » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:21 am

Yeah is quite interesting the story behind liam, sugo and myself haha :D
quite coincidental , couldn't believe it when I found out they were also hardcore racing fans :D

I dunno how I came across lfs... Im guessing that I was just googling "racing games" or something along those lines, wouldn't surprise me if that's what it was anyway. But yeah first time I tried it, it was with a keyboard... Didn't really enjoy it that much, six months later decided to get my Microsoft Sidewinder wheel out and give it a shot, and I was really enjoying it. Decided to go online, spent most time racing xfg at bl2 or fbm at bl1. Then one day I was racing xfg at bl2 and some guy was offering an S1 account to the winner of the next race. So gave it my all and came away with the win. Played S1 for about 8 months, maybe even a year when I decided that I also wanted to try the other cars and tracks. So I bought S2. Haven't looked back since. Wouldn't be hard to say that its my favourite racing sim, despite how good iRacing is, its much more fun racing with you guys :D
dynofiend
PRO
LFS User: dynofiend

Postby dynofiend » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:25 am

Wow good question, I really had to cast my mind back for this.

Back in 2005 I was still in the UK and heavily into Gran Turismo 3 on the PS2. I was posting about how I had just completed a personal mission of mine to own every car in the game on a car club forum I use, and one of the posters on there (Bean0) told me about this game LFS I should try.

Well I downloaded it and was a bit non plussed. The graphics werent as nice as GT3, neither were the cars, and I was not all that impressed using the keyboard. However not long after this, I discovered that I could use my DFP wheel and pedals, and then shortly after that I found the 900 degree unlock trick, and the profiler software, and after that I was hooked.

Even though I had S2, I mainly drove in the XFG and BL as it offered the best racing online. Then CTRA came along and extended my range of cars to the UF1, RB4, FXO, and the conedodgers servers gave me a taste of the FZR. I competed in one organised series (UF1 Mayhem Cup) and enjoyed it so much that I wondered why Id only been racing pickup races up till then!

My move out to NZ put LFS on hold for a good while, but once my partner had finished studying for her teaching diploma, I bought a wheel, found LFSNZ and here I am! LFSNZ is still the first servers Ive driven most of these cars on. Id had no time at all before in any of the single seaters, even after 6 years of LFS!
ImageImage
4aged
LFSNZ Addict
LFS User: 4aged

Postby 4aged » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:50 am

cool stores.

I used to play a stadium truck game called Leadfoot and race onlone with these US/AUS guys and one of them introduced me to LFS demo, its was ages ago pretty sure think S2 had not come out yet, wish i knew what year i started, we used to do online AutoX comps, I Rolled remo for a long time untill finding LFSNZ so i got S2, i had been using a PS2 controller.

I got a G25 when i built my race seat.
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImage
mik641
PRO
LFS User: mik641
Combat Arms Name: Mik641

Postby mik641 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:37 pm

(Mid to late 2004ish )i first started playing lfs when i found a s1 demo on pcgameworld i think? I didnt think much chop of it considering you had to earn the cars. Not until the s2 alpha was released i kinda got back into it and taught myself how to drift figure 8's on the blackwood carpark. I learnt a hell of alot about car setup for drifting. This was also the first game i played that allowed me to do burnouts and actually pop the tyres, have a turbo with a blow off valve.. you know all the ricer crap. I then proceeded to trying to drift single corners of bl1r which i sucked at but then..

then the next version i think it was 0.5u was released and one rainy sunday afternoon i discovered there was actually a multiplayer. I thought this was the ducks nuts and i joined a drift server and started having a go and i met a guy from auckland and got him to teach me how to drift bl1r. I eventually got to know him a little and we would meet up regularly on week nights. After a while we started our own drift team TDJ, trying to recruit as many NZ guys as we could. Some times i would host a server and bang around with six of us drifting etc etc. Then after a few months as most average teams do, our team died but still kept playing online in servers like teamd1 ,sneaky monkey etc.

Then, lfs released the version with the fbm and i stopped playing due to not having good enough graphics and didnt start playing back till we had a new computer. I now had to teach myself to setup the xrg for drifting the bl1 track which i hated, and mostly hung around on fat oil server, cant remember the others. Even then i had to run the graphics quite low.

In june 2008 i bought lfs s2 for my birthday, and one thursday night i happened to be on lfs and noticed the lfsnz server so i joined and busted the noob skills on the last round of king of the dirt. All i remember was begging 4aged etc to let me put the lfsnz tag into my name. Anyway from there i got into racing alot more by this time still using keyboard for a few series and managed to afford a thrustmaster steering wheel to race the lx4 series with. Unfortunately i was useless at using the wheel for drifting so still just use keyboard for drifting and wheel for serious racing. At the same time i got to know steala, matt ,swivel kk.. etc a bit more and started to play combat arms and get a crappy warehouse headset to talk to the boys. i recall numerous nights 4-6 of us in there busting the fireteam!

Even now you can find me some nights thrashing around on drift servers putting the name out there for yall :mrgreen:
Image ImageImage
KWAK
Dedicated Driver
LFS User: [LFSNZ] Kwak
Combat Arms Name: KWAKNZ

Postby KWAK » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:06 pm

BOO!

Umm.... I found lfs from google, searching for a new car game to play when I was in London and had just bought a new Laptop. Played around on the demo servers for awhile and doing the old [TC] Cruising, then bought a G25 after using a ps2 controller for awhile. I then thought about when I got back to NZ the net speed would be crap to race with the uk guys, so searched LFS nz and here I am. Well.... kinda am, haven't raced much at all lately, have plans to annoy ya's all very soon again! lol

PEACE!
4aged
LFSNZ Addict
LFS User: 4aged

Postby 4aged » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:08 pm

hurry up and start annoying us again! :lol: :P
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImage

Return to “General”