The beast

General discussions about the game, Live For Speed.
tiptop114
Beginner
LFS License: S2
LFS User: Tiptop114

The beast

Postby tiptop114 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:44 pm

1st cockpit build ever so be nice :lol: Still got lots to do will post some more pics when i got some primer on it and its looking all flash :D

Wildboy99
PRO
LFS User: |ARC| Liam

Re: The beast

Postby Wildboy99 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:28 am

Wow that is pretty epic mate, how many hours did it take to get to that stage?
I think get a joystick off ebay and turn it into a handbrake, looking at the pics it looks like this has already been thought about given the amount of space infront of the shifter, i think a dashboard with working guages would be cool too.
Do you mind me asking how much the materials costed?
And are the pedals getting mounted upside down?
Nice way for mounting the two buttons on the wheel btw lol are they solid sitting there like that?
Is the computer contained somewhere in there aswell?
i think thats all the questions i can think of for now lol. It looks deffinatly looks bloody solid good job mate. Looking foward to seeing more of this
ImageImageImage
Racing is life, Anything before or after is just waiting - Steve McQueen
mik641
PRO
LFS User: mik641
Combat Arms Name: Mik641

Postby mik641 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:16 pm

where is the beer cooler
Image ImageImage
tiptop114
Beginner

Postby tiptop114 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:52 pm

Took me about 8 hours all up, that will include painting as well.
Cost about $150 - $170 Wood, screws, paint.

No handbrake at this stage but will be looking at that in the future.
Pedals are reverse mounted :D

Thought about a working dash but couldn't find any ( most people DIY ) and i couldn't be bothered. That's why i went with the button box. :)

The buttons on the wheel where very solid but there will be no button's as that was my G25 in the photo. My computer will be hidden up the back underneath atm. The second part of this build which i'll do some time early next year will have a big double sided back board at the back of the cockpit where i'll mount my tv to. On the other side of the board i'll have a desk with a monitor mounted to the other side of the board.

Just finished the prime coating, Will post some more photo's when its all done. Dont know if im allowed to swear on this forum but its looking fucking awesome :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry Mik no beer cooler, i drink them to fast for that anyways :lol:

I think that answered everything :D
Wildboy99
PRO
LFS User: |ARC| Liam

Postby Wildboy99 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:45 am

haha thanks for the answers mate im trying to work something out for a cockpit, the frame ive got works but its already made and im not 100% i want to cut it to make it suit better so this has given me some good ideas for building a different i just need to work out a way to make FPS games comfortable aswell so i dont have to go screwing around moving screen and pc everytime i want to play something different.
Anyway looking foward to seeing it all painted up and i ve got another question lol, with reverse mounting did you actually work out angles etc for them to be sitting at or just trial and error till it was comfy?
As for the handbrake i found a cool way of doing it here http://mysimracerproject.blogspot.com/ more specifcally in this picture http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s200 ... 31qq81.jpg He just uses the handbrake lever and has it connected up to a joystick from an old controller. Simple and should work pretty well
ImageImageImage
Racing is life, Anything before or after is just waiting - Steve McQueen
dynofiend
PRO
LFS User: dynofiend

Postby dynofiend » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:07 am

Awesome build mate, you got some woodworking skills for sure :D

Looking forward to seeing the finished article also!

Might suggest a couple of things. Try mounting the monitor as close to you as possible. It gives you a larger effective screen size and means you can run larger FOV. And rather than doing what alot of people suggest, which is mounting the monitor with its centre at eye level, look at what is displayed on the screen in your usual driving position (dashboard etc) and mount the monitor with that view in mind, trying to tie in the cockpit build with that view. It will make driving feel alot more natural and immersive.

Also have you thought about keyboard and mouse mounting? Cant see there is anywhere on your current pics?

Final thought would be for cooling of the wheel. Not sure how hot it gets during longer races, but I know the forcefeedback motors can chuck out some heat. Perhaps consider a couple of 12v fans, or vents in your upper deck above the wheel?

Great stuff though mate, keep it up!
ImageImage
Chris
PRO
LFS User: holdenrules_64

Postby Chris » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:52 pm

Looking great so far. Wish I had more space so I could do something like that aswell. Would need more money aswell to buy a second pc. Is that how you plan on doing it? Using that for sim racing only and having a seperate pc for everything else?
KWAK
Dedicated Driver
LFS User: [LFSNZ] Kwak
Combat Arms Name: KWAKNZ

Postby KWAK » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:16 pm

I just dumped mine at the tip! Gonna buy a metal apaiga 2 frame. Less space, until i get a garage
dynofiend
PRO
LFS User: dynofiend

Postby dynofiend » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:55 am

Yeah pretty nuts how much space a fixed rig can take up! I put mine on castors, and the keyboard shelf folds down, and that means that (thanks to sheer luck in building it as at that point I hadnt figured that id be shifting it around) that it can fit through internal doors in the house. So when the spare room needs to be used on the occaision that we have extra guests for a few nights, I can just push the rig into the corner of our bedroom. Being a skeleton frame, its reasonably unobtrusive. If when building yours you think about if youll ever need to move it, consider putting it on castors :)
ImageImage
tiptop114
Beginner

Postby tiptop114 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:10 am

Heres some updated photo's still got to add some more paint after moving the pedals! Still looking pretty good though :D

Return to “General”